The Poke bowl is my latest love! I love sushi, and I usually take away sushi at least 2 times per month. But lately, I found another love – the poke bowl. It’s like your favorite sushi deconstructed and put into a bowl!
That is a Hawaiian food, and the idea behind as the same as for Italian pizza or the way I usually make a salad – you just put everything that you have in a one bowl=)
As I used to order sushi take away, now I’m ordering poke bowl=) But today I decided to make my own poke bowl at home and was looking for the best recipes.
Here are the ones I loved the most! And I’m going to try one of them today!
1. EPIC WHOLE30 POKE BOWL
- 1–2 cups Cauliflower rice (feel free to eat raw or saute in olive oil with a pinch of salt for 3–5 minutes and then let cool)
- 3 oz sushi-grade salmon, cubed
- 3 oz sushi-grade tuna, cubed
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup mango, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 5 slices cucumber
- white and black sesame seeds for garnish
- roughy chopped seaweed sheets (nori) for garnish
- 2 tablespoons coco aminos
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Dash of sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Combine Sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and cover with as much sauce as desired.
- (Note: if you want the salmon and tuna extra spicy, combine 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 1 Tablespoon Franks Red Hot. Toss the salmon and tuna in the mixture so they are lightly coated.)
2. HAWAIIAN POKE BOWL WITH SPICY AIOLI
- 2 c. white sushi rice or brown rice
FOR THE SPICY AIOLI:
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 T. Sriracha
FOR THE SESAME VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. toasted sesame oil
- 1 T. honey
- 1 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
FOR THE BOWLS:
- 2 c. fresh mixed salad greens
- half of a medium English cucumber, cut into 1/4″ slices and then cut into 1/4″ strips
- 1 c. seaweed salad
- 1 c. shelled edamame
- 1 c. fresh pineapple bits
- 1/4 c. pickled ginger slices
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 12 oz. sushi-grade salmon or tuna, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 c. fried onion
- 1 tsp. black and/or white sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- First cook the rice in a rice cooker. Keep warm while you prepare the sesame vinaigrette, spicy aioli, and remaining bowl ingredients.
- for the sesame vinaigrette: Place soy sauce, rice vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, honey, and lime juice in a container with a tight-fitting lid. I like to use a mason jar with these lids. With the lid on, shake vigorously to combine. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Shake vigorously before using it.
- for the spicy aioli: Whisk together mayonnaise and Sriracha. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to serve.
- To assemble the bowls: Divide fresh greens amongst four large individual bowls. Then divide and layer in the warm rice, followed by cucumber, seaweed salad, edamame, pineapple, pickled ginger, avocado, salmon, fried onion, sesame seeds, and green onion. Top with sesame vinaigrette and spicy aioli. Of course, all of these items are optional and you can choose whatever you like!
3. SMOKED SALMON SUSHI BOWL
- 2 portions cooked and cooled sticky rice of your choice, I used whole grain rice
- 1 avocado cut in half, peeled and sliced
- 1 small pice cucumber, sliced
- 2 handfuls steamed edamame
- 4 slices god quality smoked salmon, preferably organic
- 1 small bunch broccolini and asparagus, cooked (I used leftover steamed)
- 1 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced or grated
- pickled red onions
- black sesame seeds and soy sauce for serving
Assemble all the ingredients in 2 bowls. Start with the rice and nicely arrange the toppings in small sections. Top with sesame seeds and serve with a little soy sauce.
3. VEGAN POKE BOWL WITH TERIYAKI TOFU
- 1 batch teriyaki tofu
- 1 cup uncooked sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cucumber
- 2 large carrots
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1 avocado
- 1 nori sheet
- 3 green onions (scallions)
- Soy sauce for topping
- Optional: sriracha or hot sauce for spice
- Prepare the teriyaki tofu.
- Add the rice and water to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steam for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Fluff with a fork and add salt and rice vinegar.
- Steam the edamame in the microwave or using a steamer basket on the stove.
- Dice the cucumber, finely chop the cabbage, julienne or peel the carrot into ribbons, slice the avocado, chop the scallions.
- Add 1/4 of the rice to a bowl and 1/4 of all prepared veggies.
- Add the teriyaki tofu.
- Top with sesame seeds, chopped nori, and additional soy sauce if desired.
My favorite is the one with salmon! I hope you’ll try one of the recipes and will love it! Write to me in comments what do you think about the poke bowl, did you already tried to make your self a poke bowl or may be ordered in some restaurant and which one is your favorite!