Today I want to share with you 7 healthy and delicious homemade gluten-free bread recipes.
You definitely heard the phrase: “you are what you eat” with a fat body full of fast food and the sporty body fill in with vegetables. And that is totally true, but not only about the fast food and the vegetable, but plenty of other foods that we eat can influence our body in different ways, not only gaining weight but blood pressure, insulin level, cholesterol, and many-many other ways.
I started to read labels on the foods I used to buy and it is crazy how long the ingredient lists are, and how much sugar they put in a simple product, like bread! So I started to be curious about how can I make my diet more healthy. And that is crazy how much work should be done, to make the diet healthy.
I decided to take baby steps towards a healthy diet and started with home-made bread. I found 7 gluten-free bread recipes, healthy and very easy to make, that everyone should try.
1. BEST COCONUT FLOUR BREAD RECIPE – PALEO, LOW CARB, KETO
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup ground flax meal
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder/tapioca flour* optional
- 2 teaspoons baking powder**
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup flavorless oil like avocado oil or melted refined coconut oil
- 1/3 cup dairy-free milk unsweetened almond milk, coconut, etc.
- 2 tbsp honey optional
- sesame seeds or other seeds of choice – like sunflower seeds, chia, flax, etc.
- ground flax
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. Prep a 8×4-inch loaf pan by greasing it with oil or by lining it with parchment paper.
- Combine all the wet ingredients (eggs, oil, milk, optional honey) in a blender or a large bowl and whisk until they are well combined.
- Next, add the dry ingredients (coconut flour, ground flax, arrowroot powder, baking powder, salt) to bowl. Then stir them onto the wet ingredients until no more pockets of dry mix remain.
- Optionally: Separate the eggs and whip the egg whites until stiff. Proceed preparing the batter as usual otherwise. Then gently fold in the stiff egg whites as final step. (This makes for a lighter, fluffy coconut flour bread)
- Fill the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle sesame seeds and a little ground flax over the top. Bake the Coconut Flour Bread for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Store refrigerated for up to 1 week. Lightly toasting the bread slices is highly recommended.
2. GLUTEN FREE QUINOA + CHIA BREAD.
- 300 g (10 ½ oz / 1 3/4 cups) whole uncooked quinoa seed
- 60 g (2 fl oz / ¼ cup) whole chia seed
- 250 ml / 1 cup water (use half to soak chia seeds and the other half to combine in the food processor)
- 60 ml (2 fl oz / ¼ cup) olive oil
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- juice from ½ lemon
- Soak quinoa in plenty of cold water overnight in the fridge.
- Soak chia seed in ½ cup water until gel like – this can be done overnight as well, but just give it a few stirs at the beginning.
- Preheat oven to 160°C / 320°F – fan-forced oven.
- Drain the quinoa and rinse really well through a sieve. Make sure the water is fully drained from your sieve.
- Place the quinoa into a food processor.
- Add chia gel, ½ cup of water, olive oil, baking soda, sea salt, and lemon juice.
- Mix in a food processor for 3 minutes. The bread mix should resemble a batter consistency with some whole quinoa still left in the mix.
- Spoon into a loaf tin lined with baking paper on all sides and the base.
- Bake for 1 ½ hour until firm to touch and bounces back when pressed with your fingers. Mine took 1 ½ hour (oven temperatures can vary slightly) but the bread needs the time to cook and for the quinoa to become tender.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes in the tin… then remove from the tin and cool completely on a rack. The bread should be slightly moist in the middle and crisp on the outside. Cool completely before eating.
- Serve this delicious gluten-free bread slices only when cold with a serrated knife.
More healthy bread recipes here:
3. NORWEGIAN HEALTH BREAD
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats (if making gluten-free, make sure to get certified gluten-free oats)
- ½ cup Pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup Sunflower seeds
- ½ cup flax seeds whole
- 3 tbsp. flax seeds cracked or roughly ground
- 2 tbsp. Chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. Psyllium seed husks
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups water
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk oil and water together in a measuring jug. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick, first add the 1 ¾ water and then the remaining ¼ up if necessary. See how it goes. It will however become a big ball. See picture.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, remove the bowl from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for about an hour before baking.
- Grease a loaf tin, ( 8”/ 20 cm.)
- Do not preheat the oven.
- Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake at 350° F / 175° C for 70-75 minutes.
- If the loaf gets too dark, make a tent cover of aluminum foil and cover loosely. Test with a wooden skewer to see if the bread is done. The wooden skewer may be moist but not sticky.
- Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. It should also have shrunk away from the edges of the tin. Let cool about twenty minutes and remove from tin. Then cool completely before slicing.
- Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to four days, or freeze.
4. VEGAN BREAD
- rolled oats
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- psyllium husk
- kibbled flaxseeds
- chia seeds
- flaxseed oil
- warm water
STEP 1: Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rest in the fridge for at least four hours. You could also store it in the fridge overnight.
STEP 2: Generously grease a loaf pan with olive oil. Fill the mixture into the loaf form.
STEP 3: Bake the bread at 390 °F for 70 minutes without preheating the oven. Once the bread is done, carefully remove it from the loaf pan without letting it cool down.
5. GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN BREAD
- 100 g buckwheat flour
- 100 g white rice flour
- 100 g chickpea flour
- 40 g tapioca flour/starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4-1 tsp sea salt
- 50 g pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (optional)
- 450 ml water
- 3 tbsp (30 g) psyllium husk powder
Step 1: Make the psyllium husk gel first. Mix the psyllium husk powder and water in a bowl. Try to be quick, because it gels instantly, within SECONDS. I always use a whisk, it works the best. Set aside and measure the dry bread ingredients in the meantime!
Step 2: It’s time to measure/weigh all dry ingredients and add them to a big bowl. You can also preheat your oven to 350 °F (ca. 177 °C) now.
Step 3: Mix it all together: Add the psyllium gel to the big bowl and mix all ingredients with a hand mixer (use the dough hooks). You can also knead the dough with your hands or use a Kitchen Aid. It will take about 5-10 minutes until the dough comes together.
Step 4: Shape the dough and bake the bread in the oven for about 55-60 minutes. That’s it!
6. GLUTEN-FREE OAT BREAD
recipy by blog.golo.com
- 2 ¾ Cup Oat Flour
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- ¼ Cup Ground Flax Seeds
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Whisk Eggs, Almond Milk, Honey and Salt in a large bowl.
- In a food processor, mix Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Oat Flour. Mix for about 10 seconds then add the Ground Flax Seed and mix.
- Add the Oat Flour mixture to the Eggs and Milk mixture. Mix until completely combined.
- DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Let the mixture sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Line a 8×4 loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, and place the bread dough in the pan and place in the oven on the top rack.
- Bake bread for 40-45 minutes.
- Let the bread cool overnight. The longer you let it cool the less crumbly it will be.
7. LOW CARB KETO BREAD
- 1.5 cup almond flour
- 4 large eggs separated
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp erythritol
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Add cream of tartar to the whites and whisk until peaks are formed.
- In a food processor, combine 1/2 of the beaten egg whites, melted butter, almond flour, yeast, apple cider vinegar, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt and erythritol. mix until well incorporated.
- Pour in the remaining 1/2 of egg yolks and gently process until you get a lumpy thick dough. Important – do not overmix!
- Pour dough into a prepared buttered loaf pan. Smooth out the top surface with a spatula. (optional – sprinkle sesame seeds on top)
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Bring the oven-baked bread out of the oven and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
I hope you’ll love these healthy, gluten-free, vegan bread recipes! Let me know which of the recipes you’ve tried and liked!